The first Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA) mission was established at Bisiatabu, inland from Port Moresby, in 1908. SDA missionaries were among the first into the highlands (late 1920s) and their activities expanded rapidly after the war. The SDA established primary schools and teachers’ colleges but did not accept the subsidy provided to mission schools during the colonial period and does not accept state subsidy today. By 1980 almost all church officers were Papua New Guineans. In 1990 the 290,067 Seventh-Day Adventists were 8.3 percent of the Christian population and 8 percent of the total population.