The Salvation Army began Christian missionary and educational work in Papua in 1956. In 1970 it agreed to cooperate in the Territory Education System and ran Administration subsidized schools. It also carries out welfare work among the urban poor. The church is a member of the PNG Council of Churches. In 1990 the 7,493 members of the Salvation Army were 0.2 percent of both the Christian population and the total population.