1. a line, a row, a queue
- Ol skulmanki i save sanap long lain.
The school children stand in a line.
2. a coconut plantation
3. a clan, an ancestral line
- ol lain bilong Kikori the people of Kikori
- haus lain clan, extended family
4. age-group, grade, group, religious order
- lain i save experts
- lain pis a catch of fish
5. to be line; to queue
- Ol manmeri i lain pinis long beng.
The people stand in line at the bank.
6. to learn, to study about
- Meri i lain long samapim klos.
The woman is learning to sew clothes.
7. a village meeting, to have a village meeting
- Long ples ol save lain o kibung olgeta Mande long skelim tok long ol kain kain trabel bilong ples.
Back home people have a village meeting on Mondays to consult about all sorts of village problems.
8. a rope, a cord
- pislain fishing line