1. to hold something, to hold on to, to touch, to feel
- holim gavman to keep power in government
- holim isi (hold easy) to touch
- holim meri (hold woman) to have intercourse
- holim ol lo (hold all law) to keep the laws
- holim ol mandanto (hold all mandate) to keep the commandments
- holim pas (hold fast) / holimpas to grasp, hold firmly, apprehend (a criminal)
- Ol raskol i holimpasim mi, tasol mi ranawe.
The gangsters were holding me but I escaped.
- holim stia (hold steer) to hold the steering wheel
- Holim stia long kar.
Hold the steering wheel of the car.
2. to keep, to be faithful, to observe
- holim strong yet long pasin tumbuna still faithful to traditional ways
- Ol i bin holim namba wan bikpela kaikai.
They held the first feast.
- Holim tru tok bilong mi.
Keep faith with what I told you.
- Yumi mas holim gut ol lo.
We must keep to the laws.
3. a handle
- holim handel bilong baket handle of the bucket
- holim bilong kap a cup handle