1. to have, to own, to possess
- gat dinau (got debt) to owe someone something
- gat kot (got court) to be on trial
- gat trabel (got trouble) to be in trouble through one’s own fault
- Meri i gat bel.
The woman is pregnant.
- Mi gat ka.
I own a car.
- Mi gat bel hevi.
I have a complaint.
- Mipela i gat rait long stap.
We have a right to stay.
2. there is, there are (see no gat there is/are no, nogat no!)
- I gat wanpela meri long haus.
There is one woman in the house.
3. a guard, to guard (also wasman)
- Gat i slip na em i no wok.
The guard is asleep and he’s not working.