1. to the side, away from
- Em i sanap abrus long ol.
He stands to the side.
- Em tokim ol, tasol tok i go abrus.
He told them but they missed the point (the talk went to the side).
2. to miss
- Mi sut long pisin tasol mi abrus.
I shot at the bird but I missed.
- Spia i abrus long mi.
The arrow missed me.
- Mi makim em, tasol abrus.
I aimed at him, but I missed.
- Katres i abrus long manki.
The bullet missed the boy.
2. to avoid, evade, dodge, to keep away from
- Yumi mas abrusim sik.
We must avoid getting sick.
- Yu abrusim mi, o?
Are you trying to avoid me?
Mi abrusim spia bilong ol.
I dodged all their arrows.
- abrusim dispela trabol avoiding this trouble
- Mi no gat rot bilong abrusim dispela wari.
I have no way of avoiding this worry.
3. to pass, to go past, overtake
- Mi abrusim em long rot.
I passed him on the road.
- abrusim ka overtake a car
- Yumi abrusim dispela wara pinis.
We’ve already passed that creek.
- Kar i laik abrusim bas, tasol dravia i no lukluk gut.
The car wanted to overtake the bus, but the driver wasn’t looking properly.
- Maski rot i klia , tasol ol i no ken abrusim narapela ka.
They should not overtake another car even if the road is clear.
4. abrus long apart from